HOW DO I CONTACT THE DISTRICT SCHOOL NURSE?
- Contact your child’s school office and they will contact Nurse Lori who will communicate with you as soon as possible
WHAT DO SCHOOL NURSES DO TO SUPPORT STUDENT SUCCESS?
- Manage health concerns and chronic disease—work with parents to create health care action and safety plans for students with acute and chronic health needs and then assist these students to manage their health care needs while at school
- Health Screening—screen for physical, psycho-social, visual, auditory, developmental, nutritional, dental, and other health conditions to identify and resolve those that impact learning
- Liaison—partner and communicate with parents, teachers, other school personnel, healthcare providers, and community resources to advocate for student health care needs and promotion of a healthy school community
- Participate in SST, IEP and 504 process—attend meetings in order to serve as a consultant on health or medically related issues that may impact learning
- Compliance with state health requirements—assist with tracking, follow-up, and monitoring compliance of state health requirements (immunizations, physical and dental exams, mandated health screenings)
- School health services oversight—provide expertise for the provision of school health services utilizing evidence-based practices that comply with state laws, education code, regulations, nurse practice acts, and district policy and procedures (for example, maintenance of student health records, confidentiality, trainings for school staff on relevant health topics, first aid and care for ill and injured students, medication administration, and communicable disease control)
WHAT DO HEALTH CLERKS DO TO SUPPORT STUDENT SUCCESS?
- Provide support services to the school nurse which allows the nurse time to focus on resolving health problems that have the potential to interfere with learning
- Under supervision of the school nurse, implement health office procedures and selected tasks they have been trained to perform (for example, assist students who report illness or injury, provide basic first aid, administer medication, perform specialized health care procedures)
- Perform clerical, recordkeeping, and reporting tasks
- Maintain the school health office, first aid kits and supplies, required health office and school records, reports of student accidents, illnesses, medication, and other related records/statistics
- Assist with health screenings for the purpose of coordinating screenings, contacting parents, recording results, maintaining records, and referral follow-up
- Review incoming immunizations and health concerns, compile data and prepare report for school nurse follow-up
- Duplicate and send written notices